7.06.2008

Day Six- Mama and Misty's Vacation

Today we went to Gettysburg. We had rented a car so we could drive up there. Mom was extremely prepared, having read books and watching the movie about six times. I was glad that one of us knew something.

The drive up there was fun. I always enjoy driving to places that I have never been before. This drive took us through Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. We listened to music, talked and marveled at the beauty of the countryside.

When we were getting closer to the town of Gettysburg we began to see monuments on the side of the rode. Both of us were surprised as we thought that battle was just in a couple of locations. We later learned that it took place over approximately 25 square miles.

The first place we visited was the National Gettysburg Cemetery. This is where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address. There was also rows and rows of graves with flags on them. This was my first glimpse of the enormity of death that took place there. I later learned that 53,000 men died. This truly is inconceivable to me.



We then traveled to the Visitor Center where we watched a movie. I also signed us up for a bus tour. I thought this was necessary since I knew nothing. It was also nice to be in air-conditioning. The tour was extremely helpful in explaining to is what happened there. I think mom really enjoyed it as well.

Before we got there we were under the impression that there was going to be a reenactment, but we later learned that we were a day too early. However, there were so many people we came dressed up and I had the chance to talk with them. I learned that they only have reenactments every five years and can only participate if you have an ancestor who was involved in the Civil War. It was pretty cool talking to them.



At the bookstore mom bought me the movie Gettysburg. I bought a CD of the Mormon Tabernacle singing Civil War songs. As we were leaving the site, we drove around one more time and took pictures and videos.This building was used as a hospital and held about 500 men.

If you look underneath the triangle on the brick part of the roof you can see a hole where a cannon shot through.

On the way home we listened to the Civil War CD and drove around to look at houses. Mom's favorite activity. The plan was to return the car to the airport and catch the Metro back to the hotel. This sounds easy enough, but it took an extremely long time. We could not find a gas station. I know that sounds strange, but seriously, we looked and looked. It was getting so frustrating. It took us about 45 minutes of driving around. If it wasn't for our GPS system we probably would have ended up in West Virginia. While pumping the gas the man next to me began to talk to me. Our car had New York license plates and he wanted to know what part we were from. I told him Utica.

Then........something terrible happened. As I was lighting my cigarette the gas burst into flames......okay, not really. What really happened was that the automatic gas shut off didn't work and gas came pouring out of the tank. It got all over the ground and my shoes. The man I was talking to was very nice and ran inside to have attendant clean up. What he brought back was a handful of napkins, like that was going to help! Then as I was leaving he asked me if I was satisfied with my job because his office was expanding in California and they were looking for people. I told him that I was satisfied and had to laugh at the whole experience.

We eventually did get back to the hotel. The hotel has been a little frustrating. There was supposed to be a shuttle to and from the Metro Station, but we learned that they had canceled for the weekend. It is about a 1/2 mile walk from the hotel so we have been doing a lot of walking. The internet has also been a little spotty, which has been frustrating for blogging.

Tomorrow is the Fourth of July and we are headed down to the National Mall for a full day of patriotic celebration!

3 comments:

Heather Butler Skogen said...

I think he wanted your number...

Rosie's Blog said...

His fiance was in the car with him.

Peggy said...

I am so jealous. You were like in my Dad's backyard - he lives in Gettysburg. I hope you are having a great time!
Peggy